Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Aspiration


*Not sure if I've blogged about this before, but suddenly feel like talking abt it*

Secretly, I've always wanted to be an SIA girl.
Yes, an air stewardess with our own airlines..
Being one that cannot sit still, my biggest dread is a 朝九晚五 job.
Then again, it's more like 朝八晚六 in the description of any desk bound job.
I understand that there are many criteria of being an SIA girl,
and the lack in height might be a big obstacle in clearing the rounds..
Yet, there's a part of me which have alway wished that I had the guts to apply, and go through the rounds.
So that even if I fail to get through, I know I had tried.

For a period of time, I felt torn.
The angel told me that I should not even think of applying because
x It would break my parents' hearts
x It doesn't make sense for me to complete my uni studies and be an SIA girl
x I don't want to leave bb behind / lose this rs cuz of this career that may not last (read abt many SIA girls' stories of heart-break / deception)
x I don't want to lead a superficial life and to be embroiled in any bitch fights
x I think I'm capable of doing better things other than reciting "yes sir, yes madam, towel please" everyday.
x I will get home-sick and will be afraid of being alone in hotel bunks.
x I might not be adapt to the erratic schedule that will take over my whole life
x I will no longer be able to catch up with friends or attend all the important event/gatherings
x My whole life will have be compromised to cater to this job.

The devil stated that the above are not valid because:
x We only have one life. If I don't do it now, I will never be able to do it and might live to regret it my whole life.
x The pay an SIA girl receives is higher than what they pay for fresh grads in any other job, not forgetting the huge bonuses.
x If bb is not meant to be mine, he will not be mine, regardless of whether I'm an SIA girl or not. *but touch wood!* =P
x A life full of travelling is definitely worth all the bitchiness, right?
x Reciting "yes sir, yes madam" means that the job is easy. You can't go that wrong with such simple stuff right?
x For goodness sake, you're going 24. Homesickness will affect everyone, but it can be overcome!
x The erratic schedule can't be helped. Well, I mentioned I didn't want a 9-5 job right? So erratic lifestyle might be a better alternative.
x Well, there are off-days weekly. Enough time to catch up with friends! Esp after all the exciting flights (:
x If planned properly, there can still be enough time for family, friends and bb! Work-life balance, remember?

See, the devil has a counter point to every point the angel made.
That was my huge dilemma.
In the end (till now at least), I chose not to apply at all and to give up this whole aspiration.
Call me a coward, but I wasn't willing to give up everything I have till date to something so uncertain.
Yes, an SIA girl can lead a glamourous life, be well-travelled etc.
But I wasn't willing to give up everything else like my family, friends and bb.
All these are priceless elements of my life.
So what if I have to settle with a 朝八晚六 job instead of what I aspire to be?
It's worth it for everything else I have.

So, whenever the temptation becomes too big, I will revisit my beliefs.
I'll then remind myself to be contented (:
Maybe if I have a daughter one day, and she tells me she wants to be an SIA girl,
I may encourage her to do so.
Perhaps, she can be the one to live the life I never did.


Well, if you're wondering why I'm writing this now..
it's cuz the temptation came back to haunt me..
And I kinda wrote this to keep myself rooted.

No comments:

Post a Comment